BACKGROUND DONT DELETE

Wednesday 3 August 2011

"Mister Lover-Lover"




My son is nearly 2 now, and after always being a very "independent", stand-offish (happy but never one for cuddles & kisses) he has reached that age where they want to be with you / on you / next to you / touching you, throughout every waking hour. He's going through a "romance with mum" stage. He tells me "Love you, Mama" and proceeds to give me kisses. Or hugs. Or climbs over my shoulder, pulling my hair out on the way. Or jumps on my belly (really hard!) if I'm laying on the floor. Or bites my toes and says "tickle tickle tickle" (yes - that part is gross. But kids are gross sometimes!) Or buries his head into my BUM when I'm trying to make tea, or a bottle for Maya, or do the dishes...

He hasn't been whingey and whiney with this clinginess, but after finally getting my body "back to myself" after stopping breastfeeding Maya, I now feel like he's filled that space again and he is constantly on me. I find myself saying phrases I never thought I would (For example - "Please don't lick mummy!") And he's fascinated with watching me shower, or even worse... he has to come into the loo when I need to go. I can't even "go in peace"!

It's quite an adjustment after having a baby that didn't like to be held or cuddled for such a long time, to suddenly be so intensely affectionate. This morning he even fell asleep on my chest - something he hasn't done since he was less than 1 year old (and even then, he'd only do it when he was sick). Having not had a 2+ year old myself before, I'm not sure how long this phase of uber-loving will last... Knowing my luck, he'll probably stop just as Miss Maya starts! But at the same time, it's lovely. This new-found affection for those around him means I get to witness him being super-sweet to his little sister. There's nothing so beautiful as watching him walk up to her spontaneously and telling her "Love you May-May!" (almost as sweet was when he did this at Daycare the other day, then proceeded to also say "Love You" and kiss another lady's baby!)

Oh well. Despite it being a bit counter-productive to my day, all this lovin' can't be bad for us... After all, "all you need is love" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment