BACKGROUND DONT DELETE

Sunday 21 August 2011

No one is a "follower" in this household...

So today I took the kids, and their Grandpa, to the "Playschool Concert". Families turned out in droves to see a famous duo of the well-know TV presenters and eagerly sat in anticipation for the singing and dancing to commence. As soon as we arrived to line-up, my suspicions about Tyler's interest in going started to emerge... Whilst all the other children cheerfully lined up with their parents, my son was busy trying to inspect a man-hole cover in the ground, and drag his Pa along to wander around the grounds with him. We got inside and found some seats for Pa and Maya, and I (trying to instill some sense of enthusiasm in Tyler) took him down onto the floor in front of the stage - awesome seats - second row, dead centre, every Playschool Fan's dream.

Within 5 minutes, Tyler started wailing and tears streamed down his face. Now to put some perspective on things - Tyler seldom cries, is generally a very happy, content little man. He is also not a "naughty" child - he seldom does anything bratty or rude, and has a very good routine at home which he follows to a T... For a child who is so clock-work and so routine (and that's his doing, not mine... I'm pretty erratic whereas both my kids are uber-routine kids!) Yet being forced to sit on my lap whilst we waited 10 minutes was enough to crack him. He howled the place down until I eventually distracted him ("Look at the lights! Look at the balloons! Look at the bubbles (Christmas decorations conveniently left hanging up in the Greek Hall!)" and so on...) Then the presenters came out and Tyler became excited... for all of about 5 minutes. He danced to the first song, then adamantly turned around to me, looked me straight in the eye, and said "No more, Mama... bye bye!"

"DUCKS ACHE!" I exclaimed (there's a new one for you learning to curse around toddlers!) $45, an hour's round trip, plus all the effort of getting Pa to come over, lug 2 kids and all the crap that comes with them into my car, and all for 5 minutes of sheer joy which in a heart-beat my son then dictated he'd had enough of it. We tried for another 15 minutes to get him involved and interested, but after that time he found a balloon, and merrily headed towards the door ready to leave. So we left.

It made me discuss with my dad about how Tyler seems to be a bit of a non-conformist when it comes to participating in groups / team activities, or going along with what everyone else is doing. Funnily, when I was a child my school report cards would denote similar traits, using descriptors like "Emma is very capable and bright, yet needs to learn to apply herself in groups. If she does so she can achieve anything" and "Emma is often distracted and likes to dictate what she is doing rather than follow along with the other children in group activities". Teachers would report (as would I myself, back to my mother) that I would often be bored with activities and would yearn to be extended or given individual tasks unique just to me.

Now I'll be real. I know he's only 23 months old. But when I see other children at playgroup go along with the group activities with ease (ie. story-time - children much younger than Tyler will grab their cushion, sit down quietly and listen to the story and participate in songs) or at our Movement to Music class (worst experience ever! Tyler wouldn't stay and participate with the group, instead he made it his mission to explore every nook of the church it's held in, including the pastor's quarters!) it makes me wonder why on earth he won't just do what everyone else is doing. His play-time is very similar at home - you can't direct him as to what to do or how to play, he dictates his method and mode...

It makes me consider exploring other options for him when it comes to education. Whilst I know he eventually has to learn how to conform with everyone else (face it mate, it's a part of life) I sometimes wonder whether I should satiate this appetite for freedom, self-direction and non-conformism by giving him options-based learning (like Homeschooling... or Steiner Schooling). Unfortunately, our schooling options are limited in my home-town. It's a choice between the local government primary school (where my mother also works), the regimented Catholic private school, or home-schooling. We don't have anything like the Waldorf based systems here, and if I was adamant about sending my children to such a school, we'd be forced to move to the City. Homeschooling on the otherhand would mean I wouldn't be able to work full-time once I'm post-grad. These are all issues far too ahead in the future to worry about now, but it does make me want to consider my options thoroughly before thrusting my kids into an institution which may not "work" for them.

Love to hear other people's stories on raising "non-conformist" children, or who participate in "alternative" education. Feel free to contact me / comment / write on our Facebook Page (Not So Suzy on Facebook)!


2 comments:

  1. another education theory/style is montessori & also the charlotte mason method & also the classical. Although if he (they) likes to do his own learning check out montessori style as there are things you can do with him NOW as a 23 month old to steer & assist in his own learning.

    (I believe in an ecclectic style personally - as a homeschooler) :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy, yes I love the Montessori philosophies also (again, sadly none here though). I've not looked into the others but now I shall! :) I did have you in mind when posting this post... I admire how you do it!

    ReplyDelete