BACKGROUND DONT DELETE

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Unfun Lurgie-ness...




Being sick is never fun... for anyone. Being sick when you're a single mum to a couple of kids - rather unpleasant. I'm not playing the "oh woe is me card"... I'm just saying as a plain and simple fact... being a single parent, whilst sick, versus being a coupled parent (or even moreso - just being a coupled person, no kids... or even just a "single person" who could be sick, on my own, in silence!) was always much easier...

At least when I was in a partnership, the light side of being sick was someone fetching you tissues, and making you boiled eggs and soldier toast... and saying your voice sounded cute when your nose was all bunged up (where words like "gloves" become "glubs"... and "love" becomes "lub"... and phrases like "I lub my glubs" are ever-so-endearing to someone!!) and stroking your hair til you fell asleep, watching re-runs of "F.R.I.E.N.D.S" ("The One With Rachel's Sister", of course, you know... the one where Monica is ridiculously sick, and begs Chandler to get it on despite being full of sick & yuck?? Mandatory sick day viewing..!)

With kids, when you're sick, on the other hand... you seem to be wearing a bill-board that screams "Come jump on me! I'm a human trampoline! Play with me! Stick things in my nose! Get into my things! Cover the bathroom with make-up! Make lots and lots of noise for me!" (moreso than normal, even...)

And of course, when you're trying to take care of yourself to make yourself feel better - the toddler sees your eggs and wants some too (after turning his nose up at his own at lunch time - why is mum's food always "better"??)... or you can't take the medicine the pharmacist recommended because it makes you so whacked out of your skull you're rendered unable to parent... Or the moment you make them happy, comfortable and safe, and shut your eyes for "just 5 minutes..." you open them again to find your living room is now a disaster zone...

Oh if I had a million dollars... The hired help would be here, bringing me breakfast on pretty silver trays and mopping my febrile brow with a cool wash-cloth... Instead I have the 2 year old bringing me a "new boogie, Mama" on the end of a finger and the 7 month old dribbling on my face as she headbutts me...

If you are well today - enjoy it! I personally cannot wait to feel human again!

As always, peace out <3


No comments:

Post a Comment