BACKGROUND DONT DELETE

Sunday 17 July 2011

Childhood Beliefs

As an adult, we have the pleasure of looking back at our childhood quirks - some of them downright weird, some of them endearing... When I consider the quirks or strange beliefs I had as I child, it makes me wonder what wonderful, imaginative ideas my own children will come up with one day...

When I was a child:

  • I believed everyone in the world had a "television", but that we had a "magic television" that could skip through the advertisements... when really, infact, most of the "TV" shows I was watching was actually on videos that my mum had recorded off the telly...
  • I thought that different nationalities of people each had a separate "heaven" - and that world peace ultimately meant one day we'd all go to the same place when we died instead of separate ones...
  • I had an unspoken guilt about wearing clothing made from polyester, as I thought it was perhaps from some type of small furry animal, sacrificed for the sake of my t-shirts...
  • I used to pay a boy 5 cents in reception to sit behind me and pull my hair...
  • I secretly wished to fall off the playground and break my arm - just so I got to have it in plaster and let people draw and write on it...
  • I thought I wanted to be a lawyer when I grew up. And that I would have long, curly hair. And love wearing glasses and high heels... (none of which apply today!)
  • I used to LOVE sucking water out of the facewasher. And I used to "serve" jugs of "beer" in the bath when having a bubble bath...
  • I remember my child care centre carer telling me I was going to be a lamb for the nativity play, and getting upset after telling them I didn't want to be one, then changing my mind afterwards...
  • I used to quietly utter "dear Emma" under my breath in the part where it was time to sing the name when singing "Happy Birthday" - regardless of whose birthday it was...
  • I remember my parents trying to trick me into taking medicine by putting it in my milo...
  • I remember thinking "Dances with Wolves" was literally just that... Like, ballroom dancing... but with wolves...
  • I called myself "Emma Cake Broccoli Bell"...!


That's just a few I can think of tonight. Some of those things I can remember from a loooong long time ago (when I was maybe 3 years old)... To think Tyler is nearly 2... he too may start fabricating these strange and kooky ideas about his world only too soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment