BACKGROUND DONT DELETE

Friday 22 July 2011

If that was all I got...




I saw a cause that got me thinking this week. As I am spending my days working through what seems like endless amounts of laundry - the majority being kids clothes - and stepping on a plethora of toys as I try and walk through the lounge room to the loo at night, I've become gradually very overwhelmed with the sheer multitude of stuff I have in my house.

And then I found this cause. And did it shake shit into perspective for me even more (moreso than when I watched the SBS show "Go Back to Where You Came From" and burst into tears when I saw the little boy pulling an empty water bottle with wheels on it along like a toy car!)

A girl called Emma-Leigh is collecting and making up Mum and Bub Packs for the FreMo Medical Clinic in Nairobi. This medical clinic is run by two dedicated brothers and a band of volunteers whose aim is to bring affordable quality health care to the disenfranchised and dispossessed peoples in the slums of Nairobi. She is asking for donations of the following (any/all):

1x 000 Singlet
1x Newborn Socks
1x Newborn Beanie / Bonnet
1x 000 Jumpsuit - shortie or long (or both!)
1x Flannel Bunny Rug
1x cake of Baby Soap
1x Face Washer
Washable Breastfeeding pads
Washable Sanitary pads (see pattern below if feeling adventurous!)
1x Small soft toy

to make up into packs to distribute at the medical centre in Nairobi...

I read through and thought "Wow... They are not really asking for much, are they?"... The items listed are very basic, simple items... Hardly like the average list you see on a Baby Shower's gift registry these days for state of the art baby monitors, or nappy-wrapping machines! These are simple, simple basics... And what's more - the nappies and sanitary items are sustainable items, which can continued to be used.

Considering the insane amount of nappies, clothing, toys etc. I see littered around my house, I think I can certainly spare to donate a pack, and hope some of you may too... Hence I'm sharing the cause here in the hope that you might decide to send a pack to Emma-Leigh too, or share this with more of your friends.

Emma-Leigh has an event with more details on Facebook: "Mum & Bub Packs Event"
and some images / further information on the medical centre as well as the Mum & Bub pack donation drive can be read here: Darlings Downunder Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment