BACKGROUND DONT DELETE

Saturday 16 July 2011

A Letter to My Children

Dear Tyler and Maya,

One day, you may by chance stumble upon this blog. I've decided to keep it in order to record our daily lives, to have something to reflect upon when the early years are past and I no longer find myself up to my elbows in nappies, bottles, dummies, stuffed toys, bunny rugs and bootees. I think I should start by telling you (and our blog audience) how each of you came into my life...

Tyler - you have been a cruisy, laid-back child since the very minute you were conceived. My pregnancy with you was easy - I was rarely ever sick, my hair and skin were healthy and shone, and I sported that lovely "pregnancy glow" throughout my pregnancy with you. Even my labour with you was "chilled'. The labour itself was all of just 3 hours - the nurses didn't believe me when I said I felt the need to push you out, stating there was no way I was ready to push - you'd not even started decending an hour earlier! And yet within moments of my calling for help, you came into this world sound asleep... The scared first time mother in me was frightened to high heaven that something was wrong. But the doctor and midwife assured me you were fine - your heart rate was perfect, you were breathing comfortably, you were just serenely, perfectly asleep.

Maya - you, on the otherhand, were a bit more troublesome for your mother. You were hard to carry (physically - you lay sideways across my stomach for 3/4 of the pregnancy) and made me sick to high heaven throughout it. Unlike your brother, who came into the world with ease and calm, you took an unexpected 23 and a half hours - the last stages of getting you out I screamed that I simply could not do it anymore... Your cord was wrapped around your neck, I was exhausted, and felt like I had no energy or strength left to finish what we together had started. With the last of everything I had in me, you were finally thrust into the welcoming doctor's arms.

If you asked me what I ate on the 9th of September, 2009 - or the 3rd of March, 2011 - I couldn't tell you. I honestly could not recall. However ask me a day after each of these dates - the 10th of September and the 4th of March - on each of your birthdays - I could recall not only what I ate, but what I wore, who I spoke to, what was on the television, the radio, what the weather was like... all these things have become ingrained in my memory as they make up the days which you two were born, and shall be forever preserved in my memory as the most momentous days of my life. To me, the two of you coming into my world are more memorable than anything else I can think of. I recall no two other days so vividly.

So that is how we became "us"... Our gorgeous little family. Me and my two babies... I tell you both every day (though words cannot express enough) how much I love you, how beautiful you are, and I am thankful for you both every day. Sometimes we may not do things too smoothly. Some days, we don't get everything done. Some days are pure chaos. Some days I am tired, you are tired, and we all just want to cry... However whether we're having a "good day" or a "bad day" - I'd rather be having all the days with you both, than none of them at all...

Love from your loving Mother... xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment